[Numpy-discussion] Record arrays

Christopher Hanley chanley@stsci....
Thu Jun 26 11:45:12 CDT 2008

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am documenting `recarray`, and have a question:
>> Is its use still recommended, or has it been superseded by fancy data-types?
> I rarely recommend it's use (but some people do like attribute access to
> the fields).    It is wrong, however, to say that recarray has been
> superseded by fancy data types because fancy data types have existed for
> as long as recarrays.
> I believe pyfits uses them quite a bit, and so they deserve to be
> documented.
> -Travis

Travis is correct.  PyFITS uses recarrays quite extensively.  It was the
large, legacy numarray project I was referring too. ;-)

I had forgotten about the attribute access.  I know a number of people
who use that feature in conjunction with matplotlib for plotting data in
tables, especially during interactive use.

Christopher Hanley
Systems Software Engineer
Space Telescope Science Institute
3700 San Martin Drive