[Numpy-discussion] creating large arrays cause memory error, although there is more than enough RAM

Tue Mar 11 01:38:43 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Vladislav Petyuk <petyuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Memory Error if I try to create numpy arrays or large size like
> 100-500 Mb (e.g. 30000 x 3000 'float32' array)
> My computer has 3 Gb of RAM, which is well enough to handle these arrays.
> And there is definetely memory available.
> Nevertheless, the program crushes with "Potential Memory Error".
> I would appreciate any tips for tackling this problem.

The OS would be helpful and the amount of virtual memory. Note that 1Gib is
probably taken by the OS. If you are running linux the output of free -m
before the array creation might be helpful.