[Numpy-discussion] Openmp support (was numpy's future (1.1 and beyond): which direction(s) ?)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Mar 24 11:35:45 CDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Charles R Harris
> > <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe it's time to revisit the template subsystem I pulled out of
> Django.
> >
> > I am still -lots on using the Django template system. Please, please,
> > please, look at Jinja or another templating package that could be
> > dropped in without *any* modification.
> >
> Well, I have a script that pulls the relevant parts out of Django. I know
> you had a bad experience, but...
> That said, Jinja looks interesting. It uses the Django syntax, which was one
> of the things I liked most about Django templates. In fact, it looks pretty
> much like Django templates made into a standalone application, which is what
> I was after. However, it's big, the installed egg is about 1Mib, which is
> roughly 12x the size as my cutdown version of Django, and it has some
> c-code, so would need building.

The C code is optional.

> On the other hand, it also looks like it
> contains a lot of extraneous stuff, like translations, that could be
> removed. Would you be adverse to adding it in if it looks useful?

I would still *really* prefer that you use a single-file templating
module at the expense of template aesthetics and even features. I am
still unconvinced that we need more features. You haven't shown me any
concrete examples. If we do the features of a larger package that we
need to cut down, I'd prefer a package that we can cut down by simply
removing files, not one that requires the modification of files.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco