[Numpy-discussion] Deprecating PyDataMem_RENEW ?

Tue May 6 02:18:31 CDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> Since there are only 6 places where PyMemData_RENEW is used, all 6
> uses should be benchmarked. I would prefer a more targeted benchmark
> so we know exactly what we are measuring.

Ok, I started a new branch for aligned allocator:

For now, I've only commited:
    - a new bunch of tests for all functions using PyDataMem_RENEW (in
    - If NOUSE_PYDATAMEM_RENEW is defined, PyDataMEM_RENEW is not used:
instead, SYS_REALLOC is used in loops (this is defined to realloc), and
when outside a loop, _fake_realloc is used, which does not use realloc,
but use PyDataMem_NEW/FREE.

I got a small slowdown, but I am not sure it is really relevant: the
figures change almost as much between several runs as between runs of
different implementations. I am not convinced about the quality of my
tests either.