[Numpy-discussion] Problem with numpy and distutils on OS X

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri May 9 14:58:31 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:32 PM,  <vallis.35530053@bloglines.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Robert. Indeed, numpy 1.0.4 does some "monkeypatching" (see the transcript
> below). Interestingly, 1.0.3 did not, so I'm hoping that 1.0.5 may not also.
> (I'd rather stay with released version, since I distribute my code to colleagues,
> and cannot impose too many conditions on them.)

1.1.0 (which was supposed to be 1.0.5 until recently) should be out
shortly. I can indeed verify that numpy.distutils does get imported in
1.0.4 but not in 1.1.0, so I think we've already fixed the problem on
our end.

<does some grepping> Ah. I found the source of the problem.
numpy.testing.numpytest, which gets imported when you import numpy,
uses a utility function from numpy.distutils in 1.0.4, but we changed
all that for 1.1.0.

> In the meantime I'll get
> the numpy include directory information some other way in my setup.py. I will
> also investigate if gcc could be smarter about enabling vectorization (perhaps
> in a version newer than 4.0.1?), and let you know.

Possibly, but 4.0.1 is the standard compiler on OS X. You probably
can't rely on anything else being installed.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco