[Numpy-discussion] Branching 1.1.x and starting 1.2.x development

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue May 20 07:11:57 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 3:47 AM, Pearu Peterson <pearu@cens.ioc.ee> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 12:59 pm, Jarrod Millman wrote:
>> Commits to the trunk (1.2.x) should follow these rules:
>> 1.  Documentation fixes are allowed and strongly encouraged.
>> 2.  Bug-fixes are strongly encouraged.
>> 3.  Do not break backwards compatibility.
>> 4.  New features are permissible.
>> 5.  New tests are highly desirable.
>> 6.  If you add a new feature, it must have tests.
>> 7.  If you fix a bug, it must have tests.
>> If you want to break a rule, don't.  If you feel you absolutely have
>> to, please don't--but feel free send an email to the list explain your
>> problem.
>> In particular, let me know it there is some aspect of this that
>> you simply refuse to agree to in at least principle.
> Since you asked, I have a problem with the rule 7 when applying
> it to packages like numpy.distutils and numpy.f2py, for instance.

I obviously knew this would be controversial.  Personally, I would
prefer if we boldly state that tests are required.  I know that this
"rule" will be broken occasionally and may not even always make sense.
 We could  change the language to be something like "if you a fix a
bug, there should be tests".  Saying "you must" means that you're
breaking a rule when you don't.  Importantly I am not proposing that
we have some new enforcement mechanism; I am happy to leave this to
Stefan and whoever else wants to join him. (Thanks Stefan--you have
taken on a tough job!)

However, let's not worry too much about this at this point.  Let's get
1.1.0 out.  I think everyone agrees that unit tests are a good idea,
some are more passionate than others.  We need to figure out how best
to increase the number of tests, but we are doing a great job
currently.  NumPy 1.0.4 had around 686 tests and the trunk now has
roughly 996 tests.

For now, let's officially consider rules 6 and 7 to have question
marks at the end of them.  Once 1.1.0 is out and we have started
developing 1.2, we can start this conversation again.

Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley
phone: 510.643.4014