[Numpy-discussion] Building universal (fat) OS X binaries with numpy distutils

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Mon May 26 13:35:04 CDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone could let me know what the current "best
practices" are for building universal python extensions on OS X with
numpy's distutils and fortran code.

Currently, I've been doing what this message suggests:

That is, get gfortran from http://r.research.att.com/tools/ , copy
libgfortran.a to somewhere different like ~/staticlibs/, and then do
this to build:

export LDFLAGS="-undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle -arch i386 -arch ppc

python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 --arch="-arch i386 -arch
build_ext -L ~/staticlibs/ build

Is this still the best bet? Also, how best should one get python
itself to compile as universal? (For py2app purposes...)