[Numpy-discussion] Building universal (fat) OS X binaries with numpy distutils

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon May 26 14:46:24 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@yale.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm wondering if anyone could let me know what the current "best
> practices" are for building universal python extensions on OS X with
> numpy's distutils and fortran code.
> Currently, I've been doing what this message suggests:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2007-June/018986.html
> That is, get gfortran from http://r.research.att.com/tools/ , copy
> libgfortran.a to somewhere different like ~/staticlibs/, and then do
> this to build:
> export LDFLAGS="-undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle -arch i386 -arch ppc
> -Wl,-search_paths_first"
> python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 --arch="-arch i386 -arch
> ppc"
> build_ext -L ~/staticlibs/ build
> Is this still the best bet?

Yes. Have you had any problems with it?

> Also, how best should one get python
> itself to compile as universal? (For py2app purposes...)

Just us the binary from www.python.org. Is this not possible for your use case?

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco