[Numpy-discussion] Current ufunc signatures for review

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue May 27 15:52:04 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Travis E. Oliphant
<oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:
> Charles R Harris wrote:

>> 2) Complex divmod(), // and % are deprecated, should we make them
>> raise errors?
> Sometimes you have float data that is complex because of an intermediate
> calculation.   I don't think we should cause these operations not to
> work on Numeric data just because Python deprecated them.  I'm actually
> not sure why Python deprecated these functions.

floor() isn't particularly well-defined in CC. I guess we could just
round each .real and .imag component down to the next lowest integer
and define Z1 % Z2 to be the remainder from that. The operations don't
really make sense for most elements in CC, but it "smoothly"
extrapolates from the RR results.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco