[Numpy-discussion] segmentation fault

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre@gmail....
Wed May 28 14:17:10 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the bug is not raising an error on shape mismatch, the assumption on
> the first index follows from that. For the out=x parameter, I propose the
> rules:
> 1) x must have the shape of the expected output (1D in this case)
> 2) x must have the same type as the expected output (currently cast)

That seems to be consistent with the documented behavior of other
functions that have an 'out' parameter.

I wonder if this is something that ought to be looked at for all
functions with an "out" parameter?  ndarray.compress also had problems
with array type mismatch (#789); I can't imagine that it's safe to
assume only these two functions were doing it incorrectly. (Unless of
course somebody has recently looked at all of them)