[Numpy-discussion] Questions on error handling/refcounting in some ufunc object loops.

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Nov 13 23:58:59 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 23:31, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Charles R Harris wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure about the reference leak. But what should be the
>> standard for checking arguments and error returns in these object loops?
> I was wondering the same when I worked on that code a few weeks ago;
> since the ufunc "return" void, I wonder how feasible it would be to
> return an int instead for error messaging. Since the ufunc are not used
> directly outside numpy, it should not break the API/ABI in any way ?

There are ufunc loop implementations outside of numpy. It would break
the API, specifically the typedef PyUFuncGenericFunction.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco