[Numpy-discussion] Proposal for changing the names of inverse trigonometrical/hyperbolic functions

Jon Wright wright@esrf...
Mon Nov 24 14:00:48 CST 2008

Eric Firing wrote:
> Francesc Alted wrote:
>> So, IMHO, I think it would be better to rename the inverse trigonometric
>> functions from ``arc*`` to ``a*`` prefix.
> +1
> I have stumbled over this myself.  If there is resistance to removing

There is resistance. Please don't remove the old names. Also note that
your proposed change will alter people's code in subtle, but potentially
very "interesting" ways:

>>> from math import *
>>> from numpy import *
>>> type(arcsin(1)) is type(asin(1))
>>> from numpy import arcsin as transformacion_del_arco_seno
>>> arcsin == transformacion_del_arco_seno

asin(1j) raises an exception, arcsin doesn't. They are *different*
functions, hence the names.

I have the feeling the only times I ever write to this list is to say
"please don't change the API". So, here I am again, "please don't change
the API". This is a cosmetic change whose only effect seems to be to
have everyone change their code, and then support multiple incompatible
numpy versions.