[Numpy-discussion] Proposal for changing the names of inverse trigonometrical/hyperbolic functions

Joris De Ridder Joris.DeRidder@ster.kuleuven...
Tue Nov 25 11:04:19 CST 2008

On 24 Nov 2008, at 19:45 , Francesc Alted wrote:

> standards in computer science.  For example, where Python writes:
> asin, acos, atan, asinh, acosh, atanh
> NumPy choose:
> arcsin, arccos, arctan, arcsinh, arccosh, arctanh
> So, IMHO, I think it would be better to rename the inverse
> trigonometric
> functions from ``arc*`` to ``a*`` prefix.

The current slightly deviating (and in fact more clear) naming
convention of Numpy is IMO not even remotely enough reason to break
the API.
Adding honey by introducing a transition period with a deprecation
warning postpones but doesn't avoid breaking the API.