[Numpy-discussion] Installation of Numerical Python

Peter numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co...
Fri Oct 10 16:36:16 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Linda Seltzer
<lseltzer@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Hello Group Members:
> Can someone please answer a question about installing Numerical Python and
> getting it to work.  I downloaded the ... new file
> numpy-1.2.0-win32-superpack-python2.5 [.exe I assume?]

You have installed "numpy" which is the successor to "Numeric", see:

Confusingly both have been known as "Numerical Python"!

> I have these lines in my program:
> import Numeric
> from Numeric import *

If you are trying to use an old program written to use Numeric, then
you could install Numeric instead - but it is no longer being
maintained.  Or try replacing those import statements with the
backwards compatiblity layer, e.g.

from Numeric import *

from numpy.oldnumeric import *