[Numpy-discussion] Using 2-D arrays in Numeric Python (numpy)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Oct 10 23:02:37 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 21:42, Linda Seltzer
<lseltzer@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> This worked:
> from numpy.oldnumeric import *

To be clear, you mean that this worked to replace the statement "from
Numeric import *" in the older code that you mentioned in your

> Should I use
> from numpy import *
> (Does the first statement use outdated software?)

The first statement exposes an API which is mostly compatible with the
older Numeric API. The underlying software is up-to-date, but the
interface is not.

> I want to use 2-D arrays.  Please advise me on the best way to do this.

If you are writing new code, you should use "import numpy" (as an
orthogonal note, "from <foo> import *" is discouraged). Only use
numpy.oldnumeric if you need to use old code and do not have the time
or resources to update it to use the new API.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco