[Numpy-discussion] basic install question

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Oct 14 11:32:33 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:12,  <peter_williams@agilent.com> wrote:
> Do I need ATLAS to install NumPy?

> Apologies if this is in the archives somewhere, but I can't find it, and I
> can't figure it out from http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux.
> Clearly you need some kind of BLAS/ LAPACK, but it's not clear if ATLAS
> required, or is just one option of many.

If you do not have ATLAS or a similarly accelerated BLAS/LAPACK, numpy
will just use its own implementations; i.e. you do not need an
external library at all unless if you want to use one which is
particularly fast.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco