[Numpy-discussion] 1.2.0rc1 tagged!

Wed Sep 10 15:28:49 CDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> Yes. It is difficult (or impossible without writing new code) to build
> these kinds of installers to work with different locations of Python
> frameworks.

yup. however, perhaps the approach taken by wxPython would be worth
considering. Robin is putting the whole package in:

Then putting a *.pth file in both /Library and /System pythons so that
it will work with either install of 2.5. It seems it would be easy to
add Enthought's too, though I have no idea where Enthought puts it.

Actually, perhaps we should try to establish a standard, putting
packages that work with multiple pythons in something like:

and add that to a *.pth file in various versions.

Note that Robin put:

import site;

in the pth file, rather than just the path -- I have no idea why.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax