[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Thu Apr 9 05:04:04 CDT 2009

Ondrej Certik wrote:
> Yes, but in fact the staging area (if this is what you mean) is in
> every VCS, only it's hidden, except git, where it is made explicit.

I am not sure the staging area concept is there in other vcs, because in
git it is intrinsically linked to idea that git tracks content. It is
powerful, and I really miss it in other DVCS, but it takes time to get
used to - time that other people may not be willing to spend. I tried to
write some basic instructions which totally bypass the index concept,
but it can still bite you even in those simple cases:

> Which tool did you learn? Git?

git. Both Stefan and me really like git, but assuming we make the
transition, we worry a bit about the transition cost for people who are
happy with svn.