[Numpy-discussion] Merging datetime branch

Travis Oliphant oliphant@enthought....
Fri Aug 28 10:06:27 CDT 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Skipper Seabold wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Charles R
> > Harris<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Travis,
> >>
> >> The new parse_datetime.c file contains a lot of c++ style comments
> >> that
> >> should be fixed. Also, the new test for mirr is failing on all the
> >> buildbots.
> Comments sent to Marty who wrote the parse_datetime.c as part of his
> GSoC: Marty, I guess you have a bit of cleaning up to do.
> (As a snarky side note, Marty posted on the list a few weeks ago
> asking just for this kind of comments... But all is well and better
> late than never.)
> My bad, then, I missed it. So let me add
> 1) Because the default compilation is to include all the files in a
> master file, the local defines should be undef'ed at the end to
> avoid namespace pollution.
> 2) Never do this:
>  if (bug) return -1;
> or this
> if (bug) {blah; blah;}
> do it this way
> if (bug) {
>     return -1;
> }
> The last is more for Travis in the most recent commit ;)

Thanks for the reminders and the review.

I've been busy on the datetime branch (trying to merge Marty's code
which is where all the C++ comments come from).  I've changed a lot of
the stylistic differences in Marty's code (not sure if I've got them
all).    I doubt I will have time to be pedantic, but will welcome any
such changes from others.

While there are a couple of features that need to be added (coercion
between two date-time datatypes is one big one), and a whole lot of
tests that need to be added for the datetime support.  I think it's
ready to merge back to the mainline trunk so it can be a part of the
development toward 1.4

Let me know if anyone has any big changes to trunk that are going to
occur today.