[Numpy-discussion] How to solve homogeneous linear equations with NumPy?

Thu Dec 3 11:17:42 CST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Peter Cai <newptcai@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I've read some explanations on wikipedia and finally found out
> how to solve homogeneous equations by singular value decomposition.
Note that the numpy svd doesn't quite conform to what you will see in those
sources and the documentation is confusing. Numpy returns
u,s,v and a = u*diag(s)*v, whereas the decomposition is normally written as
u*diag(s)*v^T, i.e., the numpy v is the transpose (Hermitean conjugate) of
the conventional v.