[Numpy-discussion] Cython issues w/ 1.4.0

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Dec 8 12:14:48 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:08, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> ke, 2009-12-09 kello 02:47 +0900, David Cournapeau kirjoitti:
> [clip]
>> Of course, this does not prevent from applying your suggested change -
>> I don't understand why you want to add it to 1.4.0, though. 1.4.0 does
>> not break the ABI compared to 1.3.0. Or is it "just" to avoid the
>> cython issue to reappear for 1.5.0 ?
> Yes, it's to avoid having to deal with the Cython issue again in 1.5.0.

Do we have any features on deck that would add a struct member? I
think it's pretty rare for us to do so, as it should be.

> Although it's not strictly speaking an ABI break, it seems this is a bit
> of a nuisance for some people, so if we can work around it cheaply, I
> think we should do it.

Breaking compatibility via a major reorganization of our structs is not cheap!

> We should maybe convince the Cython people to disable this check, at
> least for Numpy.

They appear to be. See the latest messages in the thread "Checking
extension type sizes".

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco