[Numpy-discussion] doctest improvements patch (and possible regressions)

Michael Droettboom mdroe@stsci....
Wed Dec 9 08:04:05 CST 2009

Paul Ivanov wrote:
> I marked up suspicious differences with XXX, since I don't know if
> they're significant. In particular:
>  - shortening a defchararray by strip does not change it's dtype to a
> shorter one (apparently it used to?)
Yes.  The new behavior is to return a string array with the same
itemsize as the input array.  That's primarily just the result of the
new implementation rather than a thought out change, though.

Sorry, just commenting on the parts I feel competent in :)  But I think
this is a great improvement.  It would be nice to start doing doctests
as a matter of course to keep the docs accurate.

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute