[Numpy-discussion] cos -- NameError: global name 'cos' is not defined

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Dec 21 11:44:12 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:40, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> In this code,
> ===========start
> import math
> import numpy as np
> from numpy import matrix
> def sinD(D): # given in degrees, convert to radians
>    return sin(radians(D))
> def cosD(D):
>    return cos(radians(D))   <<--------------
> def acosD(D):
>    acos(radians(D))
>    return=====end
> the << line produces, "NameError: global name 'cos' is not defined", but
> the sin() above it does not? They are both built-in functions.

No, they aren't. They are in the math module. You want math.cos(). The
same goes for radians() and acos() and sin().

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco