[Numpy-discussion] dot function or dot notation, matrices, arrays?

Tue Dec 22 03:06:50 CST 2009

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>> This is readily done -- there is no computational portion except for
>> what is in NumPy/Scipy or scikits, and I intend for it to remain that
>> way. It's just another interface, really.
>> (What kind of computations were you thinking about?)
> Nothing in particular -- just computational as opposed to symbolic
> manipulation.

OK. As a digression, I think it is easy to get the wrong impression of
Sage that it is for "symbolics" vs. "computations". The reality is that
the symbolics has been one of the *weaker* aspects of Sage (though
steadily improving) -- the strong aspect is computations, but with
elements that NumPy doesn't handle efficiently: Arbitrary size integer
and rationals, polynomials (or vectors of their coefficients if you wish
-- just numbers, not symbols), and so on.

So the Sage design is very much about computation, it is just that the
standard floating point hasn't got all that much attention.

Dag Sverre