[Numpy-discussion] genloadtxt question

Ryan May rmay31@gmail....
Tue Feb 3 11:27:19 CST 2009

Pierre GM wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Ryan May wrote:
>> Pierre,
>> Should the following work?
>> import numpy as np
>> from StringIO import StringIO
>> converter = {'date':lambda s: datetime.strptime(s,'%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:
>> %SZ')}
>> data = np.ndfromtxt(StringIO('2009-02-03 12:00:00Z,72214.0'),
>> delimiter=',',
>> names=['date','stid'], dtype=None, converters=converter)
> Well, yes, it should work. That's indeed a problem with the
> getsubdtype method of the converter.
> The problem is that we need to estimate the datatype of the output of
> the converter. In most cases, trying to convert '0' works properly,
> not in yours however. In r6338, I force the type to object if
> converting '0' does not work. That's a patch till the next corner
> case...

Thanks for the quick patch!  And yeah, I can't think of any better behavior. It's
 actually what I ended up doing in my conversion function, so, if nothing else,
it removes the user from having to write that kind of boilerplate code.

Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma