[Numpy-discussion] String manipulation

Wed Jul 22 13:33:56 CDT 2009

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> You cannot use view on an array scalar, so you'll have to convert to
> an array first:
> x = x.reshape((1,))
> x.view('S1')

Thanks, Stéfan.

I don't know why one can't uwe view on a scalar -- there is still a dat
pointer isn't there?, and it can be reshaped. Butno matter, now I have a
  one liner that splits a string up into fixed fields, and returns a
float array of the numbers in those fields:

I suspect this is faster than the list comp method, though I haven't
tested it -- I"ll leave that to someone that actually has this problem
to solve ;-)

I've enclosed a bit of test code with a few other approaches as well.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax