[Numpy-discussion] Interactive Shell/Editor/Workspace(variables)View/Plots

Mon Jun 8 15:11:38 CDT 2009

Gökhan SEVER wrote:
> So far, IPython-Scite is the fastest that I can build my programs.
> Experiment in Ipython and build pieces in Scite. I would like to know
> what others use in this respect?

Peppy (http://peppy.flipturn.org/) + iPython

It would be nice to have those two integrated, though it's really not
hard to switch between them. iPython's "run" is wonderful.

A note about Peppy: It's pretty new, not widely used, heavyweight and
not feature complete. However, it does a fews things right (by my
personal definition of right ;-) ) that I haven't seen in any other editor:

* Modern GUI (i.e. not Emacs or vim, which probably get everything else

* Scripted/written in Python (the other reason not to use Emacs/vim)

* designed to be general purpose, not primarily python

* multiple top-level windows, and the ability to edit the same file in
multiple windows at once.

* Python (and other languages) indenting done right (i.e. like Emacs
Python mode)

* Fully cross platform (Windows, Mac, *nix (GTK) )

* all it's other features are pretty common...

Major missing feature: code completion -- I'm really starting to like
that in iPython...

It's been my primary editor for year or so, and hasn't destroyed any
data yet!

I'd love to see it get wider use.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax