[Numpy-discussion] passing arrays between processes

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Jun 14 15:50:31 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 14:31, Bryan Cole<bryan@cole.uklinux.net> wrote:
> I'm starting work on an application involving cpu-intensive data
> processing using a quad-core PC. I've not worked with multi-core systems
> previously and I'm wondering what is the best way to utilise the
> hardware when working with numpy arrays. I think I'm going to use the
> multiprocessing package, but what's the best way to pass arrays between
> processes?
> I'm unsure of the relative merits of pipes vs shared mem. Unfortunately,
> I don't have access to the quad-core machine to benchmark stuff right
> now. Any advice would be appreciated.

You can see a previous discussion on scipy-user in February titled
"shared memory machines" about using arrays backed by shared memory
with multiprocessing. Particularly this message:

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco