[Numpy-discussion] efficient 3d histogram creation

Thu May 7 06:32:03 CDT 2009

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> 2009/5/7 Chris Colbert <sccolbert@gmail.com>:
>> This was really my first attempt at doing anything constructive with Cython.
>> It was actually unbelievably easy to work with. I think i spent less time
>> working on this, than I did trying to find an optimized solution using pure
>> numpy and python.
> One aspect we often overlook is how easy it is to write a for-loop in
> comparison to vectorisation.  Besides, for-loops are sometimes easier
> to read as well!
> I think the Cython guys are planning some sort of templating, but I'll
> CC Dag so that he can tell us more.

We were discussing how it would/should look like, but noone's committed
to implementing it so it's pretty much up in the blue I think -- someone
might jump in and do it next week, or it might go another year, I can't

While I'm here, also note in that code Chris wrote that you want to pay
attention to the change of default division semantics on Cython 0.12
(especially for speed).

Dag Sverre