[Numpy-discussion] binary builds against older numpys

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed May 20 14:17:50 CDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:07 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are trying to build and test mpl installers for python2.4, 2.5 and
> 2.6.  What we are finding is that if we build mpl against a more
> recent numpy than the installed numpy on a test machine, the import of
> mpl extension modules which depend on numpy trigger a segfault.
> Eg, on python2.5 and python2.6, we build the mpl installers against
> the numpy-1.3.0-win32.superpack installation, and if I test the
> installer on a python2.5 machine with numpy-1.2.1-win32.superpack
> installed, I get the segfault.  If I install
> numpy-1.3.0-win32.superpack on the test machine, then the mpl binaries
> work fine.
> Is there an known binary incompatibly between 1.2.1 and 1.3.0?  One
> solution we may consider is building our 2.5 binaries against 1.2.1
> and seeing if they work with both 1.2.1 and 1.3.0 installations, but
> wanted to check in here to see if there were known issues or solutions
> we should be considering.
> Our test installers are at http://drop.io/rlck8ph if you are interested.
> Thanks,

A few days ago, I asked the same question for scipy in scipy-dev, since
I got segfaults using scipy against an older numpy version than the one it
was build against.

Davids reply is that there is no forward compatibility.