[Numpy-discussion] Adding the new polynomial/chebyshev modules.

Mon Nov 16 18:44:12 CST 2009

Anne Archibald wrote:
> The reason numpy and scipy don't do this is largely historical -
> Numeric had a nearly flat namespace,

I know. Despite namespaces being "one honking great idea", it seems to
have taken a while to catch on.

> Since spatial is new, though, it should be pretty good about not
> inflating your imports unnecessarily.

well, maybe -- it seems to import everything when you do an

import scipy.spatial

Since kdtree is about all that's there, it's not a big deal, but much
like the polynomial namespace, if we envision a day when there may be
all sorts of lovely spatial indexing options in there, maybe it
shouldn't bring them all into the "spatial" namespace.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax