[Numpy-discussion] lstsq illegal instruction

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Nov 18 15:20:17 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 15:15, Angus McMorland <amcmorl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Whenever I run numpy.linalg.lstsq with a xs parameter with both
> dimensions larger than 128, I get an "Illegal instruction" and python
> dies completely. It happens with both the Ubuntu jaunty standard numpy
> 1.2.1, and a recent svn 1.4.0.dev7727, but it doesn't seem to happen
> on any other machines. Anyone have any idea what might be causing
> this? It's most annoying.

This is almost always caused by using an ATLAS that is built for a
different CPU than yours. Usually, the CPU that built the ATLAS
binaries has SSE2 instructions while your CPU doesn't.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco