[Numpy-discussion] question about future support for python-3

Wed Sep 9 11:40:47 CDT 2009

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 07:15, Darren Dale<dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:
> We aren't supposed to break APIs that aren't related to the 2-3
> transition. PEP3118 is related to the 2-3 transition. Since I'm that
> somebody that always pipes up about this topic, I'm pretty sure it
> hasn't been PEP3118-related breakage that has been proposed.

Is there a difference between changing the C api and the Python API? I'd
kind of expect that any C code is going to be broken more than Python
code anyway, so maybe that's a distinction worth making.

Or maybe not -- I suppose the logic is that the transition of user code
form 2->3 should be as easy as possible, so we don't want users to have
to deal with Python changes, and numpy changes, and wxPython changes,
and ??? all at once.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax