[Numpy-discussion] [Matplotlib-users] Simple pattern recognition

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Thu Sep 17 10:17:25 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Tony S Yu <tonyyu@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2009, at 8:22 PM, Gökhan Sever wrote:
> Hello all,
> I want to be able to count predefined simple rectangle shapes on an image
> as shown like in this one:
> http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2327/particles.png
> Which is in my case to count all the blue pixels (they are ice-snow flake
> shadows in reality) in one of the column.
> What is the way to automate this task, which library or technique should I
> study to tackle it.
> You should check out the ndimage subpackage in scipy.
> This tutorial should help you get started:
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/tutorial/ndimage.html
> The section on "segmentation and labeling" will be particularly useful for
> you.
> Best,
> -Tony
> <http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/tutorial/ndimage.html>

Right into the eye.

"Segmentation is the process of separating objects of interest from the

Once I finish this task, I should be able to count the occurrences of the
shadowed instances so that I would have an idea regarding to their sizes.