[Numpy-discussion] numpy docstring sphinx pre-processors

Elaine Angelino elaine.angelino@gmail....
Mon Sep 21 12:03:34 CDT 2009

Hi there --

I have been working on a small Python package whose central data object
comes from Numpy (the record array object).

I would like to produce documentation that looks like Numpy's, and am
planning to follow Numpy's docstring standard.

Numpy uses Sphinx to generate documentation (e.g. for HTML and LaTeX PDF

My understanding is that Numpy has its own pre-processors that modify the
docstrings to format them in reStructuredText (reST) before using Sphinx to
produce the final output (see

Are these Numpy pre-processors available to the community?  I would love to
use them!

Thanks very much,