[Numpy-discussion] fixed-point arithmetic

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Sep 21 13:15:19 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:39, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Where would I find this new datetime dtype?

It's in the SVN trunk.

> 2. Don't know exactly what 'parameterized' dtypes are.  Does this mean that
> the dtype for 8.1 format fixed-pt is different from the dtype for 6.2
> format, for example?

Yes. The dtype code letter is the same, but the dtype object has
metadata attached to it in the form of a dictionary. The ufunc loops
get references to the array objects and will look at the dtype
metadata in order to figure out exactly what to do.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco