[Numpy-discussion] fixed-point arithmetic

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Sep 25 14:04:42 CDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 13:57, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still a bit confused.  The dtype is a PyTypeObject?

No, dtypes are PyArrayDescr's in C.

> It almost sounds
> like you're saying that the dtype is an PyObject instance, rather than a
> TypeObject.

> But IIUC, you say it is a PyTypeObject, but one with an extract
> dict attached (which kindof acts like an instance).

In order to create the scalar objects, you would make a PyTypeObject
that will create the appropriate PyArrayDescr with the metadata dict.
The scalar types, like np.uint8, are not dtypes themselves. The
constructor for your PyTypeObject will have to be a little different
than the others, since it will also have to accept the metadata that
it will use to create the dtype object.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco