[Numpy-discussion] Question about improving genfromtxt errors

Fri Sep 25 14:28:19 CDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Christopher Barker

> Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > Probably the easiest for your purpose is this:
> >
> > def divbyzero():
> >     return 1/0
> >
> > try:
> >     a = divbyzero()
> > except ZeroDivisionError as err:
> >     print 'problem occurred at line X'
> >     raise err
> I get an error with this syntax -- is thin 2.6 only?
> Yes sorry, that's the 2.6/3.0 syntax. It should be
except ZeroDivisionError, err:
Anyway, the instance is not needed in my example because it can't be
usefully modified and can be re-raised with a bare "raise".

> > Maybe better to use a logger instead of print, but you get the idea.
> definitely don't print! a lib function should never print (unless maybe
> with a debug flag or something set). I don't know if there is a standard
> logging approach you could use.
> I'd rather see info added to the Exception, or a new Exception raised
> with info.

The former is not possible, which motivated my example. The latter loses the
original traceback. Logging seems to be the way to go if you want all the