[Numpy-discussion] NumPy-Discussion Digest, Vol 47, Issue 61

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Aug 21 18:12:50 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 17:58, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM, <numpy-discussion-request@scipy.org>
> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:30:58 -0500
>> From: Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Making MATLAB and Python "play nice"
>> To: Discussion of Numerical Python <numpy-discussion@scipy.org>
>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 14:25, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi! ?Please forgive the re-post: I forgot to change the subject line
>> > and I haven't seen a response to this yet, so I'm assuming the former
>> > might be the cause of the latter.
>> Or perhaps because the licenses are plainly visible at the links?
> Ah, I see: if I can't be bothered to click on the links, no one else can be
> bothered to tell me that that's all I need to do to get my question
> answered.

Well, the real reason you didn't get a response is most likely the
usual: no one got around to it, or lost track of it. Though responding
to the digest is not helping you now.

> Unfortunately, the solutions are useless to me if they're not
> freely redistributable, so I have no incentive to click on the links--which
> do not advertise that they answer the licensing question--

It's pretty standard these days for home pages of software to contain
the license information. No one needs to advertise that any more.

> 'til that question
> is answered - catch-22.

Do you really think that "actually solving the problem you posed" is
not enough of an incentive to do the minimal action of clicking a link
and reading a little? Hell, answering the question "Are they
redistributable?" is incentive to click the links. It's faster and
easier than posting to the list.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco