[Numpy-discussion] docstring suggestions

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Feb 12 15:05:06 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:58,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> doceditor not moin Wiki, that was the policy that Ralf and David
>>> followed since last summer to have all docediting questions in one
>>> place.
>> Is the volume of questions really so large to justify the
>> inconvenience to the questioners? It's one thing to direct someone to,
>> say, the matplotlib list when asking matplotlib questions, but no one
>> is going to guess that they need to go to scipy-dev to ask a question
>> about the doceditor when they run into a problem editing a numpy
>> docstring.
> No, I agree with you, short questions can be answered wherever they
> happen, especially if they are on topic.
> But, if it turns into a discussion about the internal structure of how
> doc strings are generated, then maybe David can redirect the traffic.

I just don't see the reason for all that hassle, and it is a
substantial hassle. You redirect people in order to get their question
in front of the audience that can help them best or for truly
off-topic discussions. As far as I'm concerned, questions about the
doceditor, which drives the documentation for both numpy and scipy,
are on-topic for any of either of the projects' lists. You don't
redirect people just to keep things tidy. Mailing lists are messy
things no matter what you do.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco