[Numpy-discussion] dtype=None as default for np.genfromtxt ?

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Sun Feb 14 06:54:57 CST 2010

On Feb 14, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Neil Crighton wrote:
> Pierre GM <pgmdevlist <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> It has been suggested (ticket #1262) to change the default dtype=float to
> dtype=None in np.genfromtxt.
>> Any thoughts ?
> I agree dtype=None should be default for the reasons given in the ticket.
> How do we handle the backwards-incompatible change?  A warning in the next
> release, then change it in the following release?

This backwards-incompatibility bugs me. Why don't we set dtype=None as the default for ndfromtxt & mafromtxt and tell people to use these functions instead (I'm pretty sure nobody knew they existed, so we can break them without upsetting anyone)(of course, there's gonna be a counterexample as soon as I post that).