[Numpy-discussion] numpy 1.4 distutils install_clib when there are none?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Mon Feb 15 10:32:04 CST 2010

I was doing the final checks for a new release of statsmodels and ran
into a problem with install_clib

I do "setup.py install" from the source or sdist of
scikits.statsmodels and the install breaks with this message at the

running install_clib
No module named msvccompiler in numpy.distutils; trying from distutils
error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

statsmodels is pure python and there are no extensions to compile, the
setup.py file is here
we don't have any setup.py on lower levels

setup.py install worked and works without problems with numpy 1.3.0

same story with "easy_install scikits.statsmodels" directly from pypi,
works for numpy 1.3.0, same error as above with numpy 1.4.0

Any ideas? Are there some configuration settings that I need to change
to install with numpy 1.4?

"setup.py build install"  works, but does it mean it requires a c
compiler for a pure python package when using numpy distutils?