[Numpy-discussion] ask.scipy.org

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Feb 21 16:06:09 CST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 16:00, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Since after Robert Kern showed http://advice.mechanicalkern.com/ on SciPy09
> there are many similar initiatives that uses stackoverflow.com (SO) layout.
> Some smart guys come up with this site http://stackexchange.com/ to those
> who want to have a simple but a paid solution.

Indeed, stackexchange.com is the paid hosting option from the Stack
Overflow team.

> I don't have an intention of creating controversial discussion. It just to
> my eyes SO has a very appealing and easy to use interface and it's getting
> some number of posts related to scientific Python tools. I usually suggest
> my friends to use the mailing lists first and SO for their questions. Some
> prefer mailing lists some not. Mailing lists require more steps to get in
> however SO register step is much easier due to OpenID logging.
> Without belabouring further, It would be good to link R. Kern's advice site
> to either ask.scipy or advice.scipy or another alternative to attract
> new-comers easily. I am more in favor of the ask.scipy.org option. Thus I
> can refer the people (hear I mean mostly non-programmers or
> students/programmers without Python experience), simply to go ask.scipy.org
> for their first questions instead of telling them to search answers at many
> different mediums.
> What do you think?

I spent some time on Friday getting Plurk's Solace tweaked for our use
(for various reasons, it's much better code to deal with than the
CNPROG software currently running advice.mechanicalkern.com).

I still need to investigate how to migrate the content from the old
site over, but ask.scipy.org should be up and running quite soon.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco