[Numpy-discussion] performance matrix multiplication vs. matlab

Xue (Sue) Yang x.yang@physics.usyd.edu...
Wed Jan 6 20:20:33 CST 2010

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply which is useful.

I also tried to Install numpy with intel mkl 9.1
I still used gfortran for numpy installation as intel mkl 9.1 supports gnu

I only uncomment these lines for site.cfg in  site.cfg.example

library_dirs = /usr/physics/intel/mkl/lib/32
include_dirs = /usr/physics/intel/mkl/include
lapack_libs = mkl_lapack

then I tested the numpy with

> python
>>import numpy
>>a = numpy.random.randn(6000, 6000)
>>numpy.dot(a, a)

This time, only one cpu was used.  Does it mean that our installed intel mkl
9.1 is not threaded?
I don't think so.  We have used it for openMP parallelization for quite a