[Numpy-discussion] recarray slow?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Jul 21 14:37:29 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 15:12, wheres pythonmonks
<wherespythonmonks@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an recarray -- the first column is date.
> I have the following function to compute the number of unique dates in
> my data set:
> def byName(): return(len(list(set(d['Date'])) ))
> Question:  is the string 'Date' looked up at each iteration?  If so,
> this is dumb, but explains my horrible performance.
> Or, is there a better way to code the above?

If you can come up with a self-contained example that we can
benchmark, it would help. In my examples, I don't see any hideous
performance, but my examples may be missing some crucially important
detail about your data that is causing your performance problems.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco