[Numpy-discussion] 1.5 release schedule proposal

Tue Jul 27 12:50:51 CDT 2010

Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:37:56 -0600, Jed Ludlow wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
>>> One low-hanging fruit to fix could be np.fromfile raising MemoryError
>>> when it encounters EOF, and other bugs in that part of the code.
>> The EOF bug in np.fromfile may already be fixed:
>> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1152
> Ok, so nothing needs to be done to that, then.

Maybe not with that bug, but there are a number of others -- fromfile()
really needs some attention (for text reading, anyway). I got as far as
identifying some issues, but got a bit lost in the depth of complex C
and numpy's abstraction of types (template system?).

These are a couple relevant tickets;

Sorry, I'm really, really, busy right now, so can't work on this at this
point, but there is a lot of info in this thread from a while back:

There is a bit of a mixture of desired features and bugs in there -- I
started by wanting to add features but found bugs -- I suppose you can
argue about bugs vs. features here, I think the issues are mostly
behavior when the input data is malformed in some way, but the fixed are
hard because I what I think are bugs -- i.e. an error state is not
propagated properly.

Anyway, it would be great is someone could look at this, but it is ugly,
so I'm not holding my breath!

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax