[Numpy-discussion] Don't understand this error

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jul 27 17:02:50 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:59, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> res = np.fromfunction(make_res, (nx, ny))
>    File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\numeric.py", line 1538, in
> fromfunction
> args = indices(shape, dtype=dtype)
>    File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\numeric.py", line 1480, in
> indices
> tmp.shape = (1,)*i + (dim,)+(1,)*(N-i-1)
> ValueError: total size of new array must be unchanged
> Script terminated
> If it's a new array, how can it already have a size that can't be changed?
> What does this error really mean?

indices() creates an array using arange() and repeat() and then
reshapes it to the appropriate shape. You probably have bad nx or ny

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco