[Numpy-discussion] loadtxt() behavior on single-line files

Thu Jun 24 13:48:24 CDT 2010

Warren Weckesser wrote:
> Benjamin Root wrote:
>> Note that this isn't restricted to structured arrays.  For regular
>> ndarrays, loadtxt() appears to mimic the behavior of np.squeeze():
> Exactly.  The last four lines of the function are:
>     X = np.squeeze(X)
>     if unpack:
>         return X.T
>     else:
>         return X

> It would be useful to be able to tell loadtxt to not call squeeze, so a
> program that reads column-formatted data doesn't have to treat the case
> of a single line specially.

I agree -- it seem to me that every time I load data, I know what shape
I expect the result to be -- I'd never want it to squeeze. It might be
nice if you could specify the dimensionality of the array you want.

But for now: can you just do a reshape?

In [42]: strData = StringIO("53.2 49.2")

In [45]: a.shape
Out[45]: (1,)

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax