[Numpy-discussion] help from OS X 10.5 users wanted

Fri Oct 15 21:48:58 CDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 3:53 AM, Friedrich Romstedt <
friedrichromstedt@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/10/15 Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker@noaa.gov>:
> > On 10/15/10 10:54 AM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
> >> I have a 10.4 Intel machine I keep around
> >> for the sole purpose of building backward-compatible binary installers
> >> for PIL and matplotlib. If help is still wanted I'm happy to build numpy
> >> as well.
> >
> > I'll let Ralf and Friedrich and Vincent respond, but that sounds like a
> > great option.
> Thanks for waiting for us!  Here is our status:
> Vincent is currently setting up the machine with a crucial
> carbon-copy-clone, reformat, and ccc back.  This is because we had
> only around 50 MB left in the end on the partition, and according to
> Vincent enlarging the partition wasn't possible for some reason be
> both don't know.  Well, technicalities.
> We're having to set up py2.6 & py2.7, what shouldn't be an issue, and
> will have to compile mpl for both of them since the build process
> should not change Python version while its running, i.e., when
> building the py2.6 dmg, the docs will be built using py2.6, and when
> py2.5 dmg, then py2.5, that's what I mean.
> Also LaTeX is needed, Russell, as you might know.  MacTeX-2010 is
> about 1.6 GB download.
> Here come now the interesting facts:
> 1)  Some tests of numpy failed in 2.0.0.dev.  When the machine is
> running again I can send the logs.  All some strange-looking typecode
> string tests with dtype('...') iirc.

Not too surprising, that's the master branch which is not tested much on
py2.5 / OS X.

> 2)  I noticed that the paver at some late point tried to switch from
> py2.5 to py2.6, what is rather strange to me.  I must have a look
> where precisely the build failed for this reason.  py2.6 is the
> DEFAULT_PYTHON_VERSION (iirc) in pavement.py, and changing it to 2.5
> fixed it.  Strange.

Did you have the the bootstrap virtualenv set up and active? The following
should work from a clean checkout:
paver bootstrap
source bootstrap/bin/activate
python setupsconsegg.py install
paver dmg -p 2.5

If that fails it's a bug. The first build is with python 2.6 if that's your
default python, it's needed to make sure the docs are built from the exact
same commit as the binary itself.

> 3)  I found no v1.5.1 tag yet (yesterday).  Will the HEAD become 1.5.1?

You mean the master branch? HEAD just points at the most recent commit on
your currently active branch. In that case no, 1.5.1 will be tagged from the
maintenance/1.5.x branch. The tag v1.5.1rc1 or v1.5.1 do not exist yet, tags
are only created once the actual release takes place. So tag v1.5.1rc1
should appear tomorrow.