[Numpy-discussion] DataArray fixes

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Oct 18 16:02:34 CDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Lluís <xscript@gmx.net> wrote:
> Ah well, I don't usually import routines into my namespace, but full
> packages to avoid collisions and ease understanding of the source :)

Good practice, though it's still (I think) best to avoid colliding
with very common names in case someone uses the direct import approach
(which is perfectly valid and idiomatic Python).

> In fact, I looked into 'numpy.ma' to try to follow the same scheme. It
> does indeed have a 'numpy.ma.array', while 'numpy.ma.masked_array' seems
> just to be an alias for 'numpy.ma.MaskedArray'.
> In any case, I think you had one naming suggestion... could you type it
> again? Was it 'numpy.datarray.data_array'? Or perhaps something shorter?

I lean towards hoping that numpy would expose at the top level the
various *array() functions for the different array types:

np.array() -> plain

That would make it easier for people to discover them, and would also
encourage uniformization (when possible) of interfaces, signatures,
etc.  In teaching, it would also be easier to have a little chart
explaining the various specializations the other types make over the
basic one, and I think it would be more newbie-friendly to have this

> In any case, I do see your concerns. I'll fix all pending
> requests... when I have time. It's crazy right now, so I won't be having
> much time for at least two weeks.

Thanks, no worries.  It's not like we're drowning in free time here :)